doggy-foodPart of being a responsible pet owner is being knowledgeable of what your pet can and can’t have. If you’re a dog owner then there are a lot of foods that you need be wary of to make sure you don’t give your dog. Chocolate is one of the most popular and is easily looked over. In many ways, chocolate treats seem like the perfect thing to give a dog for a job-well-done, but chocolate is virtually poisonous for your dog. Here are some things to keep an eye on and make sure your dog never gets anywhere near. The results could be catastrophic and leave your dog in a lot of pain and discomfort, or worse.

A lot of dog owners try to think of some different kinds of fruit to give their dog. My personal favorite is bananas. My dog loves it when I slice up some bananas and put them in her food. One thing that you must avoid though is grapes. Grapes are poisonous for dogs and, if consumed excessively, could even give your dog kidney failure which would most likely result in death. Grapes are often times overlooked though because dogs don’t know that they can’t eat them, and will try. Grapes seem like a fun food to eat, and a fun food to share with both you and your dog, but the consequences are very grave. The same applies to raisins too – both are equally potent to your dog.

Macadamia nuts are a food that most dog owners don’t realize. Now, one would probably know not to give any kind of nut to your dog by itself, but other foods contain macadamia nuts. You should stay away from things like cookies and granola bars because you never know if they might contain something that your dog can’t have – definitely read the labels and educate yourself on what all you know your dog can have, and can’t have.

The last thing I want to hit is bones. A lot of new dog owners think that they can just give their dog any kind of bone and they’ll go nuts over it, but this is not always the case. Raw bones are okay, but bones that have been cooked should never be given to a dog. The reason being that cooked bones are weaker, and could potentially break and splinter inside of your dogs mouth. If your dog chews through the bone, he might start trying to eat it which could be horribly painful to digest.